I don’t understand myself sometimes. For example, I’m currently feeling enthused and motivated to throw myself into my new job. At the same time, I’m also feeling overwhelmed to the point of paralysis. I have work in front of me that makes me feel excited, but I’m not doing it. Why?
The reasons why people procrastinate
- Poor time management – you’re just not aware of how much time you have in relation to what you’re wanting to do
- Boredom or disinterest – avoiding doing the unpleasant
- Being lost or feeling overwhelmed, not knowing where to start
- Negative brain images – perfectionism, fear of success/failure, negative and “all-or-nothing” thinking
- Lack of experience in the subject, or lack of experience in managing oneself
There are techniques of combating procrastination, but I even delay treating my procrastination because it has such a good side effect.
I get so much other stuff done!!
During the time in which I should have been reading a policy document and creating a flowchart to match, I finished two blog posts, sent out quote requests to a bunch of party DJs, read the news headlines, took a brisk walk in the sunshine and booked myself in for a lunch date with a friend. I did all those tasks quickly and vigourously. However, now I feel like a nap, it’s been an hour and I still haven’t read the damn policy.
Ideas for procrastination obliteration
- Practical ideas from the University of Cambridge
- Slightly more philosophical ideas from Inc.com
- Productivity apps such as Productivity Challenge
- Use your learning style to keep your brain focused
Any other recommendations? Add yours to the comments.